Directory Press Review
DirectoryPress is a WordPress plugin to turn your blog into a directory.
It comes “out of the box” with lots of directory features
I totally disagree with this, it took me a few hours to make it look like a normal directory and when you pay $199 you expect more.
Good things about it:
- easy to install, it’s basically a WordPress theme
- DMOZ import, Google Maps integrated
- lots of payment gateways are supported
- Very customizable link/advertising options
- You can create categories very quickly
Bad things about it:
- It’s paid and it’s not cheap
- Complicated setup, you get lost in the options
- Almost all templates look the same and they don’t look well
- You don’t have a blog anymore, no more posts/widgets
- It’s not compatible with other WordPress themes
Overall, phpLD is much better. DirectoryPress looks like an improvisation. Also, you can get phpLD 2.x free of charge.